It’s Friday – and that means it must be time to share a few links from the Interwebz!
In case you missed my earlier articles from the last couple of weeks, I’d encourage you to check out the following and let me know what you think:
- Two reviews – Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century from SSDC and Figurines of Wondrous Power from Raging Swan Press
- A couple of Gassy Gnoll columns: Impressions of D&D Encounters, which you probably already saw earlier this week
- And my interview with Craig Dedrick who’s getting ready to get PrairieCon fired up in June 2011!
But of course I wasn’t the only one waxing philosophically about gaming topics this week!
- If you’re in need of a quick dungeon, you can’t go wrong with the Dungeoneering Dad’s article – A Handful of Sweet Arse Dungeon Generators
- Mike over at Campaign Mastery points out what I already know, but can’t ever seem to remember… that writing things down is a necessity when gaming! Check out The failure of …ummmmm… Memory
- At Critical Hits, Tourq Stevens shares some of the wisdom he’s learned in “26 Years of Gaming Lessons. It’s amazing what many of us have seen and done in our alternate lives in RPGs over the years!
- Then we go into some deep philosophical thoughts with Runeslinger at Casting Shadows… In Buddha Was Not a Roleplayer he talks about the concept of attachment in gaming terms and raises some excellent points. What makes one character or story or campaign work while others don’t?
Robin D. Laws, one of the minds in gaming I always turn to to have my mind blown or assumptions nuked explains Where Bad Writing Advice Comes From and I have to say I’ve probably stumbled into a few of these things over the years myself. My inner critic always gets in the way and I have to beat it down with a baseball bat…
- Another brilliant mind in gaming circles is Monte Cook, who points out that [gasp] you have to work to make millions with your writing. If you get through Part 1 and Part 2 without at least a better understanding of what it takes to succeed as a game writer, you’re not reading closely enough.
- Greg Bilsland admits an unhealthy addiction to random encounter tables at Eye of the Beholder. And I have to say that random encounters, if tied somehow back to the plot, can make an otherwise boring trek through the wilderness quite exciting in a very short time. Check out how Greg uses them in his own games in Random Encounters: Into the Wilderness.
- Are you always on the lookout for new writing resources? Especially free ones? Well, check out 40+ free tools for authors by Piotr Kowalczyk over at TeleRead for a great place to find a few!
- Stargazer over at Stargazer’s World has started some great series lately about RPG Blogging… Check out RPG Blogging 101: Writing posts if you haven’t yet taken the plunge and need some advice first… Once you get started, it’s hard to stop. Take it from me!
- Enzeitgeist reviews The Haunting of Soldragon Academy from Headless Hydra Games and #30 Intelligent Magic Items from Rite Publishing in his latest post.
- Big things on the horizon for Palladium Books has me very excited. I’ve been a fan since I played Palladium Fantasy and Ninjas and Superspies twenty years ago. Check out this detailed list of upcoming titles and actions for more!
What did I miss? Do you have a link I should include? News to announce? A new product to review? Drop me a line at the GKR Contact page and let me know!
Stay tuned for the new GKR Newsletter to launch in May, so be sure to sign up so you don’t miss an issue!
Have a great weekend!!
- Dungeon Crawl Classics Adventure Starter and Beta Rules on Free RPG Day 2011 (purplepawn.com)
- 26 Years of Gaming Lessons from Critical Hits ” RPG (critical-hits.com)
- What about The Ruins Perilous? A review… from Stargazer’s World (stargazersworld.com)
- Help playtest the High Score RPG from Stargazer’s World (stargazersworld.com)
- Arcanis: the Roleplaying Game Fastplay Rules for Free RPG Day 2011 (purplepawn.com)
- Dice & Deadlines: Expanding Your Horizons from Geek’s Dream Girl” Dungeons & Dragons / RPGs (geeksdreamgirl.com)
- Life and times of a RPG industry freelancer from Stargazer’s World (stargazersworld.com)
- Kobolds Overrun RPG Countdown from Kobold Quarterly (koboldquarterly.com)
- The Keys To Your Horror Campaign from Jason Richards cannot be trusted (jasonrichards.net)
- My homework for you today: try out a new game from Stargazer’s World (stargazersworld.com)