As this Gassy Gnoll sits in his home in Colorado today hiding from a biting wind and below freezing temperatures, he wondered at the winter weather. Beyond the Frozen Wind adventure from Rite Publishing and Jonathan McAnulty, he can’t recall any adventures that really dealt with the cold wind at all. Taking shelter from a winter blizzard is definitely a good idea to get a group of PCs to a particular place, but what other possibilities come to mind?
- Perhaps the group must travel to a small island in the middle of a lake unsafe to boat across unless it is frozen solid? Or the island is a prison from which something cannot escape (Alcatraz-style) unless the water freezes? A vampire cannot cross running water, for example.
- A frozen wind may hide air elementals with nefarious goals or evil spirits seeking hearty or foolish souls to possess.
- The snow itself may possess a being or beings broken into a million pieces and reassembling themselves a piece at a time like in the Doctor Who episode “The Snowmen.”
- The wind may blow up a storm that hides an invading force of cold critters like the White Walkers from Game of Thrones beyond The Wall.
- A crazy winter storm may blow up on a long voyage, driving the PC’s transportation to shore in an unexpected place.
- As a harsh winter settles upon a kingdom, beasts unable to travel in warmer weather begin invading. Something along the lines of 30 Days of Night.
Winter is definitely full of possibilities…
What can you come up with?