Now that August is over, that means the August 2012 RPG Blog Carnival is too (it kicked off here) and I thought I’d do a summary of all the posts:
- Erik Jensen @ Wampus Country came up with an amazing d100 table for coming up with random backpack contents. (Some VERY creative bits in there!)
- Berin Kinsman @ Asparagus Jumpsuit discussed the fact that he doesn’t like backpacks “because they are an in-game manifestation of [his] least-favorite mechanic: encumbrance.” I have to agree – encumbrance is more bookkeeping than fun…
- A.L. @ Reality Refracted has a solid list of items for his usual “travel pack” in Legend of the Five Rings. His story about why he includes bleach is quite entertaining!
- Jack @ Jack’s Toolbox came up with a solid list of things that should be in a real-world backpack for running a RPG campaign. All his suggestions are solid!
- Shorty Monster offers two lists – one for his zombie survival pack and one for cyberpunk. The survival pack is no-nonsense and ready to rock!
@ Mike’s Mind put together a visual guide to everything in his gaming satchel. He’s definitely got all the necessities and then some.
- Jennifer @ Book Scorpion’s Lair offers three different lists: one for her Shadowrun doctor, one for her 7th Sea professor, and one for herself.
- Seth Drebitko @ Kobold Enterprise offers a couple of lists. One for the backpack his elven monk’s slave carries and one for his gaming bag.
- IronWolf @ The Iron Tavern and shared what’s in the backpack of Fulgrim Ironforge (a 4th level Barbarian in PFRPG) in two different ways – from his character’s point of view and from a character sheet point of view.
- The crew from Fandiblog took a crack at sharing the contents of their various backpacks and I have to say they seem to be an eclectic (and fun) bunch! Nobody else can claim having a Finnish gas mask in their bag I bet!
- Ameron (Derek Myers) @ Dungeon’s Master injected a bit of reality to the carnival, suggesting a few qualities a backpack should have as well as some opinions about what they should (or rather shouldn’t) contain. Ultimately I think he comes to the right conclusion.
- Mike Bohlmann @ a Kickstarter project proposing ePubs instead of PDFs for PFRPG and other RPGs offers the contents of his GM backpack, which includes a few electronics as well as some of the usual items in a gaming-related bag of holding… (With about a week to go, they need a little more help to get over the funding hump, so be sure to help out if you can!)
- And Tony Brotherton @ Roleplay-Geek proposes that we should all have item cards in our backpacks. I have to admit it would be awesome to have a visual representation of everything my character had on them and really like his #6 as a suggestion as to how to deal with what they may have up their sleeves!
- Somehow I forgot David Brawley’s article at Tower of the Archmage! (Sorry David!!) He put together a list of what’s in his gaming backpack, with pictures!
A huge thank you goes out to everybody who contributed to the carnival! It was fun to host and I’ll see if I can come up with another topic for early next year.
Next up is a carnival topic from Dice Monkey I think, so I’ll be excited to give it a think when I get a chance!
For a list of previous carnival topics, check out the Blog Carnival Archive at the RPGA website too!